2015年10月28日星期三

Vocabulary List 10/28/2015

Chapter 4:

melancholy
I felt melancholy after reading Mother's letter.
Adj. a feeling of thoughtful sadness

imposing
I knew how Mother hated imposing on her children.
adj used of a person's appearance or behavior; befitting an eminent person

Chapter 5:

stroll
I drew in a deep breath of the deliciously fragrant air, picturing my stroll along the stream with Sarah and Jimmy.
n a leisurely walk (usually in some public place)

transformed
"What a grand surprise to see our neglected greenhouse transformed into a lovely little garden.
adj.(past tense) given a completely different form or appearance.

greenhouse
I was in the greenhouse earlier, checking on my chrysanthemums.
N. a building with glass walls and roof; for the cultivation and exhibition of plants under controlled conditions

neglected
Inside, the plants seemed terribly neglected.
adj.(past tense)lacking a caretaker

Chapter 6:

mixer
All the other girls in the dorm were still fast asleep, recovering from the excitement of the mixer the night before.
n a party of people assembled to promote sociability and communal activity

invigorated
I was shocked to hear Marci say these things, but strangely invigorated.
adj (past tense)with restored energy

oddball
I feel like an oddball wherever I am.
n .a person with an unusual or odd personality

pretentious
She had once told me she thought the dress code and the formality were "ridiculously pretentious" and a waste of time.
adj intended to attract notice and impress others

Chapter 7:

fulfilling
Ever since I was little, she has told me that she wants me to work alongside her, and lead a worthy and fulfilling life as she does." I paused, remembering.
v meet the requirements or expectations of

rambled
It's so pretty," Ellen rambled, "and I want to show you off."
Adj.(past tense)move about aimlessly or without any destination, often in search of food or employment

frankly
I think it is because your culture encourages people to speak openly and frankly.
adv (used as intensives reflecting the speaker's attitude) it is sincerely the case that

Chapter 8:

horrified
I was horrified.
adj (past tense)stricken with horror

demerit
They gave you five demerits for disappearing from the meeting.
n a mark against a person for misconduct or failure; usually given in school or armed forces

humility
Here, they do not place so much emphasis on patience,humility, family harmony, and silence as we do in Korea.
N.a disposition to be humble; a lack of false pride

harmony
Here, they do not place so much emphasis on patience,humility, family harmony, and silence as we do in Korea.
n compatibility in opinion and action

 Chapter 9:

ambassador
You have become quite an excellent ambassador for your country, and have made lots of friends, I hear."
N.a diplomat of the highest rank; accredited as representative from one country to another

farmhouse
The next day, Ellen and I took the train to her parents' farmhouse in New Jersey.
n house for a farmer and family

acres
We have sixteen acres here.
n extensive landed property (especially in the country) retained by the owner for his own use

没有评论:

发表评论