2015年11月10日星期二

Vocabulary #3

1. mannequin. n.
---A small, black velvet purse hung on the shoulder of the mannequin.
styled of human form used in window displays.
2. second-hand adj.
---To save money, I had purchased second-hand textbooks from upperclassmen at a fraction of the original price, and I was careful not to use too many notebooks.
things are not new and have been owned by someone else. 
3. animatedly adj.
---with drinks in hand, talking animatedly.
full of life, action, or spirit; lively;
4. faltered v.
---Flustered, I faltered, then hurriedly responded.
to speak hesitatingly or brokenly.
5. impulsive adj.
---You are a bit impulsive and head' strong at times, but you did well.
swayed by emotional
6. constrained adj.
---I had always felt constrained there.
forced, compelled, or obliged.
7. Gregorian chant n.
---A Gregorian chant program is scheduled for June, and students will be coming from around the world.
the plain song used in the ritual of the Roman Catholic Church.
8. pearl n.
---all the pearls scattered across the floor.
a smooth, rounded bead formed within the shells of certain mollusks
9. elope v.
---I just want to elope and get our lives started now!
to run off secretly to be married
10. taciturn adj.
---He had always been taciturn, but at least when I was near him, I could glean so much from his expression.
inclined to silence; reserved in speech.
11. sobbed v.
---I sat, buried my face in my hands, and sobbed.
to weep with convulsive catching of the breath. 
12. pouch n.
---In a silk pouch that Mother had made was her thin, white gold wedding band.
a bag, sack, or similar receptacle.
13. listlessly adj.
---As I stared forward listlessly, little Sarah snuggled up against me, and whispered into my ear.
having or showing little or no interest in anything; languid; spiritless.
14. hymn n.
---I was comforted by their high-pitched hymns reverberating in the domed chapel.
a song or ode in praise or honor of God.
15. fainted
---She told no one about her illness, and then she suddenly fainted one evening.
lacking brightness, vividness, clearness, loudness, strength

没有评论:

发表评论