2015年12月13日星期日

An Appointment to Writing Center

I went to the Writing Center last week and that was the first time for me to go there. I talked with Ms. Swift before during writing classes but this time she helped me a lot on my Dairy of Ellen.
I first introduced what the book Gathering of Pearls was about then I told her something about Ellen. Ms. Swift asked me about the book’s background, especially the time. Then I realized I know almost nothing about the background. I only know it was in 20 century and about 1950. So Ms. Swift took over a book. It was a picture book introduced what American’s life was like in 1970. There were Beatles, Rolling Stones, and rock and roll. She also told me there were telephone but no mobile phone. She also asked about Ellen’s hobbies, favorite things, and her family. Ellen is the girl who also spent all of her time on social and her boyfriend. Like many other collage girl on that time, she doesn’t really care about studying. The reason why she went to collage was to find a perfect boyfriend. Compare with Sookan, she has so much more money which has shown in chapter 2. So her sense of worth can be shown in her dairy.
I realized in my dairy, I said Ellen called Kyle almost every other day, and this was impossible. For not every dorm could have a telephone for student. I changed my dairy into Ellen wrote to Kyle every other day. Then I add more details about a collage girl’s imagination, especially a girl in a relationship. Kyle and Ellen were on a long distance relationship so there might were some small arguments and misunderstand between them. Also, in American collage, there are some important vacation and festival like Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. I experienced these holidays so I decided to add some events in my life to Ellen’s diary. Ms. Swift asked a lot of questions about Ellen. She asked about Ellen’s personality, her relationship with her roommate and her parents, her daily life, and is she outgoing or not. When she asked I had no idea how to answer all those questions. So I have to add more things in my dairy not only events like prom and social party but also some details like her school life, her dorm life, and her relationship withal other people. When you start to introduce a person, the first thing you have to do is to know about this person. Her name, age, hobbies, life, where is she come form, her parents, how was her childhood, does every one likes her… I realized I was not ready to write about Ellen. I prepare to make a list about Ellen’s information and what will happen on her so that I can write her diary with evidence but not only imagination.

After I went to Writing Center, I learned that no matter you read or write something, you have to know about its background. The information will help you to understand more clearly about character’s behavior and plot.

没有评论:

发表评论